Poetry Prize guidelines
The Overland Judith Wright Poetry Prize for New and Emerging Poets is proudly sponsored by the Malcolm Robertson Foundation
Major prize: $6000
Second prize: $2000
Third prize: $1000
The judge for the 2015 competition is Overland’s current poetry editor, Peter Minter, and Overland’s incoming poetry editor (to be announced).
Competition closes 11.59pm, Sunday 15 November 2015. Winners will be announced in Overland 222, autumn 2016.
- The award is open to poets who have had no more than one solo collection of their work commercially published: that is, by a publishing house with commercial distribution.
- Entrants must be citizens of Australia or New Zealand or have permanent resident status in Australia or New Zealand.
- Poems must be unpublished (including online) and not under consideration by other publishers.
- Poems that have won or are under consideration in other competitions are not eligible.
- Selection will be made by Overland’s current and incoming poetry editors.
- The judges’ decision will be final.
- The winning poems will be published in Overland.
- All submitted poems may be considered for publication in Overland.
- Entries must be submitted electronically via the Overland submittable system.
- An entry fee of $12 for Overland subscribers and $20 for non-subscribers will be charged. It is possible to become a subscriber and simultaneously enter the competition at a special price of $56.
- The name of the poet must not appear on the manuscript (including the header or footer) since all poems will be considered anonymously.
- Poems must be no more than 80 lines.
- Multiple entries are permitted, though a separate fee applies to each poem.
- The competition closes 11.59pm, Sunday 15 November 2015.
- Winners will be announced in March 2016. Subscribe to the Overland email bulletin to receive announcements as to the results.
- The major prize is $6000, second prize is $2000 and third prize is $1000.
- Please ensure you are satisfied with your poem before submtting. Poems that are withdrawn and subsequently resubmitted will incur a second fee.