Google+ Followers

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Henry Thoreau journal













One of my favourite books of all time is Walden by Henry Thoreau. Now I have discovered a blog which quotes from the journals on a daily basis. Check it out at http://blogthoreau.blogspot.com/ or http://www.inblogs.net/blogthoreau

Here are the opening words of Walden:
"When I wrote the following pages, or rather the bulk of them, I lived alone, in the woods, a mile from any neighbor, in a house which I had built myself, on the shore of Walden Pond, in Concord, Massachusetts, and earned my living by the labor of my hands only. I lived there two years and two months. At present I am a sojourner in civilized life again."

Illustrations: Henry Thoreau; his cabin in the woods; front page of the original edition

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In 1971 I was working down by Circular Quay in Sydney and twice a week I walked the full length of the CBD during my lunch hour, to look for book and record bargains. In Sydney's humidity, with no air-conditioning in my office, it was a
labour of sweat and love. My two best finds were an 1899 edition of 'Walden'(in excellent condition) for 35 cents in Ashwoods at the other end of town,
and Richard Brautigan's novel, 'Trout Fishing in America',
on the sporting stand in Dymock's.
I still have them both, but you can guess which one I dip into from time to time.
- Murray Jennings