Sunday, March 28, 2010

Becoming Post Avant by Steven Waling

Steven Waling at Brandoshot at http://stevenwaling.blogspot.com/ is quietioning why he ended up linked on Ron Silliman's blog with a wonderful piece entitled Becoming Post-Avant. Take a look at it - it is entertaining and, to my mind, relevant.

A taste:

Becoming Post Avant

4. It was a pressure in my head that made me finally admit that I was whatever kind of poet it is I think I've become. I had a failing poem that annoyed me so much, as a last resort, I cut it up. Lo! A light came down from heaven illuminating the path I must follow... or something... Rather, I discovered that I didn't have to do the whole thing straight, that going the crooked route was just as interesting.

5. I want to be as clear as possible. But life isn't clear, it comes at you from all kinds of directions at all kinds of speed. And I have to confess that I like, and think that poetry should reflect my experience, rather than try to impose an artificial order on it.

6. How important is the reader? Important enough not to be mollycoddled.

No comments: