Friday, June 22, 2012

Clive James: 'I've lost my battle with cancer'




Australian broadcaster Clive James has admitted that he has finally lost his long-fought battle with leukaemia.
The 72-year-old told a BBC Radio 4 programme that he has "almost died four times" since being diagnosed with the disease two-and-a-half years ago.
The TV veteran, best known for shows such as Clive James on Television, reveals in the interview how he initially thought he could fight the disease:
I swore to myself if I can just get through this winter, I’d feel better.
And I got through the winter and here it is a lovely sunny day and guess what, I don’t feel better.
He continues:
I’ve been really ill for two-and-a-half years. I was diagnosed with leukaemia then I had COPD - which is a fancy name for emphysema - and my immune system packed up. And that’s just the start.
James was treated at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge for chronic lymphocytic leukaemia, a form of the disease which progresses slowly, as well as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, which makes it increasingly harder to breathe.
...
James moved to England in 1962 and studied English at Pembroke College at Cambridge, where he became ­president of the Footlights drama club.
In the Radio 4 interview, due to be aired on Saturday at 8pm, Clive talks emotionally about the dad he never knew, who survived life as a Japanese prisoner during the Second World War, only to die on his way back home to Australia.
I never saw him, I think I was in his arms as a baby for about a day before he sailed off.
...
 Read more at http://www.itv.com/news/2012-06-21/clive-james-has-lost-his-battle-with-cancer/

No comments: