Tuesday, November 02, 2004

In My Father's Den

I would never put myself up as a movie critic, so take what I say about In My Father's Den as an amateur's enthusiasm. It's nothing short of brilliant. If I'd left a third of the way into it I would have said it's an 'okay' flick, nothing startling. It takes a while to get truly underway - maybe they spent too long setting up the background story, etc. But I was absolutely captured and transfixed for the last two-thirds ... I use these mathematical divisions lightly ... In My Father's Den stars Matthew MacFadyen, Miranda Otto and Emily Barclay - these are the only names in the press ad, but there is a strong cast - much more than simply these three. The young Emily is very very good. And New Zealand's south island supplies just the right setting - you can almost feel the chill in the air. And the rain looks very 'wet' in NZ! Flippancy aside, if it comes to a cinema near you, see it.

No comments: