Thursday, September 27, 2007

Wednesday's 'Snap': Ngallagunda Girl

It being Wednesday, I wrote a short 'snap' poem for PoetryEtc, a poetry list I'm on. So on my way to school that morning (taking the long way because of all the snake tracks heading into the bush near our shortcut) I saw a local girl of indeterminable age dancing on the road by herself, and watching to one side her shadow, checking to see she had the movements just right ... I wrote this as my 'snap' for this week.

Ngallagunda girl dances
seven years old
thin black body
silhouetted on
pindan dirt

Ngallagunda girl dances
songless and alone
head cocked left
watching her
undulating shadow
to get it right
to move like Mum

Ngallagunda girl dances
as little brother
plays muster
in the dirt where
king browns mated
under a full moon
their tracks
lyrical in the sun

No comments: