Friday, September 10, 2010

FROM “A PROVISIONAL POETICS” by Mark Weiss


"I never set out to write a poem. I will jot things down in my notebook, sometimes ideational, sometimes not, sometimes from the environment, or misheard, or from a dream, and occasionally a phrase will have a rhythmic urgency that compels me to jot something further, and then I'm lost in process and have no idea where I or the poem is going. This is a liminal state fraught with both joy and terror, and it is processual. The process may extend over few or many lines and take a few moments or days and months. It lasts until one emerges at the other end, back into the everyday, arrival signaled by the loss of urgency.

"And then one cleans up the mess of blind alleys, dishonesties and false starts. What’s left is the record of the process. in which the poet is reinvented and the poem discovered." Mark Weiss

Read more, plus some poems, at http://poemsandpoetics.blogspot.com/2010/09/mark-weiss-3-poems-excerpt-from.html

Buy As Landscape by Mark Weiss at Chax Press http://www.chax.org/poets/weiss.htm

No comments: